Monday, April 17, 2006

A primer on ghazals

hai aur bhi duniya mein sukhanwar bahut acche,
kehte hai kee ghalib ka hai andaz-e-bayan aur!

For more on him, follow this link. A more theoretical analysis on ghazals can be found here:

This one's my favorite shair {Ref: Umrao Jaan}:

Na jiski shakl hai koi, na jiska koi naam hai,
ik aisee shai ka kyon hamein azzal se intezaar hai!

which translates to:

that which has no face, that which has no name,
I have been waiting for so long for that one oasis in my life!

This one's courtesy my kavi friend, ravi, who composed it:

zindagi ka safar to taveel tha dost,
zindagi ko to mukhtsar dekha

which translates to (sounds oxymoron if taken at face value):

the journey of life was a long one, my friend,
I saw life, however, in a blink!

This one read by Ustad Amir Khan in the documentary on him by the Films Division of India:

Gunche (O' flower) teri zindagi pe dil hilta hai
Sirf ek tabassum (smile) ke liye khilta hai?
Gunche ne kaha...kee baba
Is duniya mein ye ek tabassum bhi kise milta hai!

Another one, I hear recently:

Jeest se tang ho ai daag, to jeete kyon ho
Jaan pyari bhi nahin, jaan se jate bhi nahin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home